NOTE: I found this draft originally written on December 19, 2013. Not sure why I decided it should remain unpublished, but I did and then like many drafts, I forgot about it. So here it is.
Once the configuration was decided upon, the process of fixing up the files was relatively quick and straightforward. A list was built and maintained of all files, and then edited to note the person who signed up to fix it and the ticket number. Overall, from publishing the post until the last file was cleaned up it took 7 days.
By going file by file, we minimized the churn and made it simple for committers to review. It also made it easy to find bitesize chunks. Overall, 13 individuals wrote patches in addition to the committers who assisted.