— Aaron Jorbin (@aaronjorbin) January 10, 2010
- @kellymariez77 mmm. I'm a bit jealous in reply to kellymariez77 #
- Diagnosing a DNS issue #
- I have an Amun friend in town, i think this means i'll take a productivity break for the afternoon. #
- Horsebrass in a little bit. Not many better places to show an out of towner the greatness that is oregon beer. #
- Some days code just seems to write itself. Today is one of those days and I'm loving it. #
- @kchrist This barely qualifies as snow. If it sticks, you should be fine with caution and good tread on your current tires. in reply to kchrist #
- @dtwright YES! In fact I think you should only submit in source since it's a fact that @sarahnaeger loves LaTeX in reply to dtwright #
- @kchrist Best of luck in your upcoming hibernation. I hope your supplies last. in reply to kchrist #
- @dtwright Not at all. Her love of LaTeX is do to the fact that it is easier to control the spread of disease (viruses) using LaTex then pdf in reply to dtwright #
- I spent five years in a city that averaged 150 to 300 inches of snow and never saw a car with chains on the tires. 1/4 an inch in pdx? yep #
- @Viper007Bond LA Drivers freak out when there's a cloud in the sky. in reply to Viper007Bond #
- @_mfields Yes and I find it hilarious . I don't understand the inability to drive in snow. Take your time and plan your moves. in reply to _mfields #
- .@trimet line 35 was stuck coming up greely = me walking 1.5 miles. It's beautiful out there. #
- Tonight seems like perfect time to make white bean, kale and tomato soup #
- My response to: An Exercise in WordPress Integration, or Why WordPress Sucks http://bit.ly/5OoYQg #
- I hope everyone has a great <?php echo date( "Y" ); ?> #
- Not happy with the start to this game. Go Ducks! #
- It was so good yesterday, I'm going to eat some more soup and have a #bacon grilled cheese sandwich #100meat #
- My twenty-ten goal / one hundred servings of meat / will I miss bacon? http://aaron.jorb.in/100meat/ #haikufriday #
- Goodbye Fareless Square and Hello Free Rail Zone on @trimet. My thoughts: http://aaron.jorb.in/2010/goodbye-fareless-square/ #
- Great story about a great guy and sled hockey: http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/chi-hockey-paralyzed-01-jan01,0,6166481,full.story #
- @betsywhim I am sorry about your loss. I wish you lots of strength over these coming days. #
- Sad to hear that Dennis Brutus, who fought Apartheid in South Africa and former Chicago Sun-Times Columnist Bill Gleason both passed away. #
As has been reported many other places, Today (3 January 2009) Trimet switched from the current fareless square to the fareless rail zone and this is one Trimet change I’m in favor of. It has a variety of benefits and a few costs.
- Continues to provide a large area that is accessible during a large part of the day quickly and without a vehicle. This doesn’t mean it’s a large enough area or that it doesn’t need to expand out to include a larger part of the east side. I think the simplest way to extend it now is to go fareless on the Portland Streetcar. Couple this with the expected eastside streetcar on MLK/Grand and you would have a large area that you never even need to think about driving.
- No longer requiring bus drivers to kick people off for not having paid a fare. Every time I’ve seen a bus driver put in this situation of being forced to tell someone “pay or get off”, you can tell it’s the part of their job they hate. Now they won’t have to do that.
- Buses will no longer need to stop for fare inspectors. It’s rare, but it does happen and now these fare inspectors can focus on the MAX, where there is a big fare evasion problem. I for one would really like to see fare inspectors on the MAX much more often
- 5% of trips that can currently be taken for free, now can’t. According to Trimet when they announced this decision in August:
We estimate that about 95% of the trips currently taken within Fareless Square can easily be taken on the future Green Line on the Mall, on the existing Blue/Red MAX line on Morrison and Yamhill, and on the Streetcar. Nearly every destination in Fareless Square will be served by MAX or Streetcar within 3 or 4 blocks.We estimate that about 95% of the trips currently taken within Fareless Square can easily be taken on the future Green Line on the Mall, on the existing Blue/Red MAX line on Morrison and Yamhill, and on the Streetcar. Nearly every destination in Fareless Square will be served by MAX or Streetcar within 3 or 4 blocks.
- Service frequency for free is greatly diminished. While the Max runs frequent enough during the day, after 10pm your options for what used to be the free bus mall are extremely limited. You can get a train (at the start of the line, PSU/SW 6th & Montgomery MAX Station) at: 10:02, 10:10, 10:32, 10:40, 11:02. 11:10, 11:32, 11:40 and 12:10. That’s it. That means you can not get from PSU to old town without paying a fare after midnight on weeknights and you might be waiting 22min (which is enough to walk the entire way) for a train at other times. This just isn’t frequent enough in my opinion
- 5% of trips that can currently be taken for free, now can’t. According to Trimet when they announced this decision in August:
Overall, I am for the change and hope that it increases fare inspection on the Max. If that happens, this will be a win for Trimet riders. Hopefully we’ll get lucky and see that happen.
- Pryzbilla: Out indefinitely. 5 guard lineup coming next? #
- @vegasgeek Yes. Here is a guide http://maisonbisson.com/blog/post/12143/converting-a-wporg-site-to-wpmu/ in reply to vegasgeek #
- Debugging with a cup of Ethiopian coffee. #
- Killed the bug i wanted and 2 few more in the process. Now to get to the #Cocktailcamp planning meeting at victory on division in one hour. #
- Hey @tsablogteam , I bet if we required people to fly naked no one would tape explosives to their body. eh? #
- @ctumaven @gretchenmarie5 I've had it. They do some pretty good Bacon. #
- I wonder how many Portlanders are regretting ditching their #Novembeard now that we have such cold temps. #
- Gathering some data from data.un.org to play with tonight #
- @adamczar Congrats on your accomplishments for 2009 in reply to adamczar #
- Pirates' consumption patterns unchanged over the centuries from http://j.mp/548HAi — Slightly surprising, but at the same time not #
- RT @shendison: PC World listed my iPhone App for SEO Automatic – http://www.pcworld.com/appguide/app.html?id=305701&expand=false – Cool! #
- @gretchenmarie5 OUCH! Feel better soon. in reply to gretchenmarie5 #
- Giving Google Chrome for Linux a test drive. One complaint: Ctrl-L doesn't go to address bar in full screen mode. Otherwise very impressed #
- @chrishalebarnes I'm mostly a big fan besides the inability to access my address bar when in full screen mode (which is how I mostly browse) in reply to chrishalebarnes #
- @dtwright Good luck. The hard part is always the unpacking. in reply to dtwright #
- Headed to the #cocktailcamp planing meeting at Branch Whisky Bar. #
- @nindelicato I was not, but now I am. Thank you. in reply to nindelicato #
- @pdxwp Sad news. in reply to pdxwp #
- RT @UNjobs: RT @geoparadigm: Cool map from 2007, US States Renamed For Countries With Similar GDPs http://tinyurl.com/yl5vbo5 RT @gwais #
- Really digging Brother Ali at the moment. So should you: http://bit.ly/7pB9kC #
- @ourpdx I'm glad that I could increase your coolness. My mom would be proud to know I helped make a mom less uncool. in reply to ourpdx #
- woo, just a bit more testing and my first #wordpress-mu specific plugin will be ready. I think that will wait till tomorrow though. #
- More great reporting from Matt Taibbi on the Financial Meltdown : http://bit.ly/6gc1KT #
- Sixty Three Today / Happy Birthday UNICEF / Think of the children #haikufriday http://bit.ly/8XcME9 #
- RT @FakeAPStylebook: Gelt/Guilt – Gelt is an awful-tasting chocolate candy coin. Guilt is a Jewish mother's super power. #
- Bears still aren't out of this, though it doesn't feel like we have much of a chance. At least I'm beating @ctumaven in fantasy playoffs. #
- Making Pumpkin Latkes #
- Just got a text from my 10 year old cousin. I didn't have a phone in my bedroom at that age and he has his own cell. It's a crazy world. #
- @betsywhim That looks like some good Apple Sauce to me. in reply to betsywhim #
- Today is the 163 anniversary of the end of the Toledo War. Read it's importance @ http://aaron.jorb.in/?p=89 #
- Can anyone recommend a good OSX server mailing list? @chet , @mr_josh , #lazytweet #
- Living in man dscl for the time being #
- @andrea_r yes. It's nice to make sure it's working correctly. in reply to andrea_r #
- @oregondean Ok. I'll be finishing up for the night in the next hour and will send you an e-mail then. in reply to oregondean #
- @KatrinaD I'm sure it's a delicious story. in reply to KatrinaD #
- @KatrinaD I'm sure it's a very delicious story. in reply to KatrinaD #
- Today was so filled with FAIL. I'm going to relax for a bit then head to @dudemountain and see how those gentleman are doing. #
- No CLI web browser installed by default? Why do you assume everyone is working with a GUI Apple? #
- @mr_josh I'm more of a fan of macports for package management in reply to mr_josh #
- RT @SusanMoskwa: RT @modcloth: Whoever took the time to make this, thank you: http://bit.ly/7nTjVa JC #90s #nostalgia #awesomesauce #
- @travismargoni Blazers up 60 – 59 with 5:20 left in the third in reply to travismargoni #
- What's not to love about @JBay4 ? Tonight he's showing exactly why he should be a full time contributor. #
- Compiling, but sadly, not sword fight while I do #
- @ctumaven Congrats! Obviously the long hours you put in got you noticed in a positive way. in reply to ctumaven #
- @cobock I Hope the last exam went well and you are well on your way to enjoying a break. in reply to cobock #
- @travismargoni I hope @JBay4 continues to get minutes like last night. He's earned it and is the best backcourt partner we have for Roy. in reply to travismargoni #
- @allisonroy Sweet! is it a flavor explosion in your mouth? in reply to allisonroy #
- @ctumaven Thanks. it's going to be a tough match, but I might get luck again. Congrats on the mexico trip. Should be a good time. in reply to ctumaven #
- @spohara You have to survive your semi match up for that to happen. Best of luck. in reply to spohara #
- Filled with win for at least the time being. Let's see if my luck continues. #
- Waiting on some DNS to propagate. I need to get a sword and a partner… #
- @mr_josh Have you been there? It sure feels like it sometimes in reply to mr_josh #
- @aventurene Don't you love it when that happens. in reply to aventurene #
- @mr_josh it's defiantly not 20k, but there is a lot of highway, especially in the suburbs. they stretch on and on in reply to mr_josh #
- Lost Eritreans? / Nope, just trying to get out / Football team Hiring http://tinyurl.com/eritrea-football #haikufriday #
- A Christmas gift from @dudemountain to the world : http://dudemountain.com/christmas-thang/ #
- @rboren You've earned it. Congrats on another release. in reply to rboren #
- #wordpress 2.9 is now out. Check out my favorite features at http://aaron.jorb.in/2009/wordpress-2-9/ #
- Just bought both bacon and prosciutto. Mmm. #
- Just made a donation to @FreeGeekPDX and you should as well http://www.causes.com/causes/415137 #30hd #
- Damn. The problem with listening to #30hd is that I missed out on @turcozy and his great pajamas. Stupid me. #
- Just made bacon and prosciutto latkes. I'm the worst jew ever. Or maybe the best? #
- @ahockley So what you're saying is you haven't tested in ie6 yet? in reply to ahockley #
WordPress 2.9 was officially released today and contains 509 changes from 2.8. It continues WordPress’ development towards being the most extendable and intuitive web publishing platform. There are a lot of great developments in this release that excite me. Below I highlight three front end and three back-end changes that I’m particularly excited for.
- Integrating Image editing – Aaron Hockley from Social Photo Talk has this pretty well covered in a post and video. Check it out if you’re a photo blogger
- Media embedding – Alex aka viper007bond has been making embedding videos and other media easier for thousands of WordPress users with his quicktags plugin. Now you don’t even have to worry about adding a plugin. There are 14 providers included in the core that should cover many of the your needs. Adding another oembed provider is as easy as adding the following code to your theme’s functions.php file: wp_oembed_add_provider( ‘http://site.com/watchvideo/*’, ‘http://site.com/oembedprovider’ ); You can also allow any user with the unfiltered_html capability (just admins on a standard install) the ability to discover any oembed provider with the following in your theme’s functions.php file add_filter(’embed_oembed_discover’, create_function(‘$a’,’return true;’));
- Trash – No more are you sure you want to delete this pop ups. No more “OH SHIT” moments because you deleted instead of published a post. Now, you can place any u wanted posts in the trash where they will sit for 30 days. You are welcome to change the length of time that posts are trashed by adding the following to your wp-config.php file define( ‘EMPTY_TRASH_DAYS’, 7 );
- Comment Meta – Comments now have a database table for storing all sorts of goodness. What can be stored here? Well really the sky is the limit. Comments are now almost as flexible as posts.
- Themes can now control the boxes that show up in the post editor. Right now it just supports post thumbnails, but this is really just the start. If you want to enable post thumbnails, add the following your theme’s functions.php file add_theme_support( ‘post-thumbnails’ );
- Database repair and optimization is now easier. All it takes is adding define(’WP_ALLOW_REPAIR’, true); to wp-config.php and then visiting yoursite.com/wp-admin/maint/repair.php to either repair or optimize your database.
This is just the tip of the iceberg on what’s changed and what I’m excited about. What are you most excited about in 2.9? Download it and let me know what you think.
For five years of my life I lived in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. During that time (and since then) the question that I’ve most often faced is why is the U.P. a part of Michigan? (The second most common question I faced is Where?) The answer to that is that this was the settlement to the Toledo War.
The Toledo War was an almost casualty free conflict between the state of Ohio and the Territory of Michigan over the area of present-day Ohio near Toledo. When creating the Northwest Territory, which included Ohio and Michigan along with Indiana, Illinois and Wisconsin , it was decided that the northern border of three of these states would be:
…an east and west line drawn through the southerly bend or extreme of Lake Michigan
Source: Northwest Ordinance
This of course would have the effect of puting Toledo in Michigan. However due to mapping errors, Toledo was a part of the already formed state of Ohio before Michigan had the population for statehood. Once the error was found, Michigan wanted they considered their territory. With Ohio already having statehood and thus the ability to better lobby for Congress to support it, Michigan’s Governor Stevens T. Mason mobilized a 250 person militia that invaded and seized the disputed territory. Ohio responded with a militia of its own.
After a tense eight months that featured a failed compromise convention in Ann Arbor, a compromise was drawn up that would allow for Ohio to retain the area around Toledo, but in return Michigan would receive the area that is now known as the Upper Peninsula, which makes a bit of sense since Michigan already had claims on about one-fourth of the U.P. and the only people screwed were the citizens of what would become Wisconsin. While it didn’t at first seem like this compromise would be accepted, a change happened when:
…Suddenly it became apparent that the Federal Government was about to distribute the surplus in the United States Treasury among the states, and that Michigan would not get her share of nearly $400,000 unless she officially entered the Union. On December 14, another convention known as the “Frostbitten Convention” assembled at Ann Arbor, under the leadership of Democratic politicians. It was not called by the Legislature, but met as a result of informal personal calls, petitions, and public meetings calling for reconsideration. It agreed to accept the proposal of Congress. Jackson reported the event to Congress, and that body engaged in another discussion of the legality of the second convention…and on January 26, 1837, Congress formally admitted Michigan to the Union.
Source: The Ohio-Michigan Boundary Dispute Re-Examined by Carl Wittke
Well today marks the 173rd anniversary of that Frostbitten Convention and now you know what brings the Yoopers and the Trolls together in a single state. So the moral to the Story? If you make an error in mapping, screw Wisconsin to fix it.
Additional Source: Michigan Department of Military and Veteran Affairs
Everyone has those friends, the ones that are hilarious and you try to encourage to do something with the skill. The gentleman from Dude Mountain are some of those people. And their talent really shown through by winning the first two Suck My Flick short film competitions. I helped them get there own wordpress site up and running and set them free. One of the simpler site I worked on, yes. But also one of the funnier. Check out episode five below and see if you recognize the guest star playing the doctor.
63 years ago today, UNICEF (United Nations Children’s Fund) was created by the general assembly to provide food, clothing and health care to the children victims of World War Two. Seven years later the UNGA extended the mandate indefinitely with the goal:
…to advocate for the protection of children’s rights, to help meet their basic needs and to expand their opportunities to reach their full potential.Source: UNICEF Mission Statement
Congratulations on your first 63 years. I hope the next 63 allows for even more progress in attempting to make the world a better place for all children.